Golden Apple Pie
“Pies are the dessert I like best to prepare. This one’s the favourite for family get-togethers, and it has been awarded blue ribbons at a couple of local fairs.” —Theresa Brazil, Petaluma, California
Taste of Home
- 6 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp apple juice divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 6 to 8 tbsp ice water
- 6 tablespoons to 8ice water
- In a large saucepan, combine apples, 3/4 cup apple juice, sugar, cinnamon and apple pie spice; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and remaining apple juice; add to saucepan. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute more or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- For crust, combine flour and salt; cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until dough can be formed into a ball. Divide in 2 portions, making 1 piece slightly larger. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack.
1 slice: 480 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 480mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fibre), 5g protein.