Grandma Brubaker’s Orange Cookies
“At least two generations of my family have enjoyed the recipe for these delicate orange-flavored cookies.” —Sheri DeBolt, Huntington, Indiana
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|72cookies||20minutes||10 minutes/batch + cooling|
|10 minutes/batch + cooling|
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs separated, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 2 medium naval oranges juice and grated zest
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks and buttermilk. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice and zest. Add egg whites and beat until smooth.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake until set, about 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Frost cooled cookies.
1 cookie: 97 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.