Granny’s Apple Scalloped Potatoes
“This scalloped potatoes with apples dish is delicious with breaded baked pork chops, which you could cook at the same time in another cast-iron pan. We are retired and it’s just the two of us, but you could easily double the recipe.” —Shirley Rickis, The Villages, Florida
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4servings||25minutes||55minutes + standing|
|55minutes + standing|
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
- 4 medium red potatoes thinly sliced (about 1 lb)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp Shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- Chopped fresh parsley optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine apple slices, sugar and lemon juice; toss to coat. Set aside. In an 8- or 9-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Alternately arrange potato and apple slices in a single layer in same skillet. Combine 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, cream, thyme, salt and pepper; pour over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 50 minutes. Top with bacon and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned, 5-10 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
1 serving: 376 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 651mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.