Green Minestrone With Pesto
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Soups | Soups Special diet : Ingredients
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Soups | Soups
Special diet :
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
pinch hot red chili flakes
2 zucchini, diced
1 bunch Swiss chard or kale, chopped
1 head broccoli, trimmed and chopped
½ lb (250 g) green beans, cut into ½-in (1-cm) slices
8 cups (2 L) vegetable stock, chicken stock or water
½ cup (125 mL) macaroni or other small pasta (whole wheat if possible)
1 cup (250 mL) cooked or canned chickpeas
2 cups (500 mL) chopped escarole or baby spinach leaves
salt and pepper to taste
3 green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic
1½ cups (375 mL) fresh basil leaves
½ tsp (2 mL) kosher salt
⅓ cup (75 mL) extra-virgin olive oil, or more if necessary
2 oz (60 g) shaved or grated Parmesan (preferably Parmigiano Reggiano)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add onions, garlic and hot chili flakes. Cook gently until tender.
- Add zucchini, Swiss chard, broccoli, green beans and stock. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Add pasta and cook until almost tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Add chickpeas and escarole, salt, pepper and green onions. Cook 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make pesto by placing garlic, basil and salt in a food processor and chopping finely. While the machine is running, add olive oil through the feed tube, until mixture is thin enough to drizzle.
- Serve soup, drizzled with pesto and topped with Parmesan. Freeze any leftover pesto.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:4083