Grilled Cheese & Pepper Sandwiches
“This is a tasty and wholesome sandwich to make for one or two. It’s a nice twist on a grilled cheese, very tasty and filling and especially good with rye bread.” —Arline Hofland, Deer Lodge, Montana
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tsp chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 4 slices rye bread with caraway seeds
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tbsp butter softened
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion and peppers until tender. Divide between 2 bread slices. Top with cheese and remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- In a large skillet, toast sandwiches over medium heat until golden brown and cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes per side.
1 sandwich: 470 calories, 28g fat (13g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fibre), 17g protein.