Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Dressing
“If you’re fond of gyros, you’ll enjoy this garden-fresh salad showcasing ground lamb, crumbled feta cheese, Kalamata olives, tomatoes and a creamy, tangy dressing.” —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1 cucumber peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp dill weed
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 lb ground lamb or ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp Greek seasoning or oregano leaves
- 1 package hearts of romaine salad mix 10 ounces
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 package crumbled feta cheese 4 ounces
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives drained
- Toasted pita bread wedges
- In a large bowl, sprinkle cucumber with salt; mix well. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain. Stir in remaining dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook lamb, onion and Greek seasoning until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Arrange salad mix on a large serving platter; top with tomatoes, cheese, olives and lamb. Spoon dressing over salad. Serve immediately with toasted pita wedges.