Halloween Witch Cake
If you’re looking for an extra-special dessert to serve for Halloween, this witch cake will delight all the ghouls and goblins at your party. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|16servings||1-1/4hours||40minutes + cooling|
|40minutes + cooling|
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate melted and cooled
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups butter softened
- 10 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Green and black gel food colouring
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 4 oz black candy coating disks melted
- Assorted black sprinkles, sanding sugar and pearls
- Assorted black sprinkles sanding sugar and pearls
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of 3 greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease parchment. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in melted chocolate and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in water.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before carefully removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, salt and enough milk to reach desired consistency; remove 1-1/2 cups frosting and set aside. Tint remaining frosting with green gel food colouring until desired color is reached. Tint reserved frosting with black food colouring.
- If cake layers have rounded tops, trim with a serrated knife to make level. Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake.
- For decoration, place melted candy coating in piping bag fitted with a small round tip; pipe witch hat shapes onto waxed paper. Let stand until set. Top cake with assorted sprinkles. Place black frosting in piping bag fitted with large star tip; pipe onto top of cake. Just before serving, gently stand 1 witch hat on top of cake. Adhere remaining witch hats and black pearls to sides of cake by gently pressing into frosting.
1 piece: 882 calories, 35g fat (22g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 504mg sodium, 135g carbohydrate (115g sugars, 1g fibre), 6g protein.