Happy Orange Turkey
“Here’s the perfect centrepiece for your Thanksgiving feast. Champagne and oranges flavour this special bird that will become one of your favourite turkey recipes ever.” —Tara Baier, Menomonie, Wisconsin
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|24servings||30minutes||3-3/4hours + standing|
|3-3/4hours + standing|
- 3 medium oranges
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 turkey 14 to 16 pounds
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 small onion cut into wedges
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 1-1/2 cups Champagne
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Finely grate zest from oranges. Cut the fruit into wedges. Combine softened butter and orange zest. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey; rub butter mixture under the skin.
- Pat turkey dry. Combine the garlic powder, salt and pepper; rub over the outside and inside of turkey. Drizzle with melted butter. Place the oranges, onion, rosemary and thyme inside the cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place oven bag in a roasting pan. Place turkey, breast side up, in bag. Pour Champagne and orange juice over turkey. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided.
- Bake at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Remove turkey to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand for 20 minutes before carving. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy.
6 ounces cooked turkey: 374 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 156mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fibre), 43g protein.