Hazelnut Hot Chocolate
“Vanilla beans and a hazelnut liqueur like Frangelico lend a sophisticated flavour to this hot chocolate. With such rich taste, it could be served as a dessert.” —Michael Compean, Fountain Hills, Arizona
Photo: Taste of Home
- 3 vanilla beans
- 9 cups whole milk
- 2-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream divided
- 16 oz bittersweet chocolate divided
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup hazelnut liqueur
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts toasted
- cinnamon sticks optional
- Split vanilla beans in half lengthwise. With a sharp knife, scrape the beans to remove the seeds. Set seeds aside; discard the beans.
- In a large saucepan, heat milk and 3/4 cup cream over medium heat just until mixture comes to a simmer. Chop 15 ounces chocolate. In a large heatproof bowl, combine the chopped chocolate, Nutella, sugars, salt and vanilla seeds. Pour warm milk mixture over chocolate mixture. Let stand for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, whip remaining cream and shave remaining chocolate. Whisk chocolate mixture until smooth; stir in liqueur. Serve with whipped cream, shaved chocolate and chopped hazelnuts. Garnish with a cinnamon stick if desired.
1/2 cup: 299 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fibre), 6g protein