These little bread rings, Jewish in origin, are delicious teamed with savoury fillings. The double cooking method-first by briefly poaching in boiling water, then baking-gives bagels their unique texture and slightly chewy crust.
Number of servings : 12 bagels
Prep time: 35 minutes, plus about 1 hour rising
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Type of meal : | Breads and muffins | Breads and muffins
Special diet :
3 cups white bread flour
1 teaspoons salt
1 envelope (about 7 g) quick-rising yeast
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon honey
2 teaspoons sunflower oil
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons tepid water
- Put the flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the salt and yeast. Make a well in the middle.
- Lightly whisk 2 of the eggs with the honey and oil. Pour this mixture into the well in the midddle of the flour. Add the water and mix together until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover with a damp dish towel and leave to rise in a warm place until double in volume, which can take 40 minutes, depending on the room temperature.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Form each into an 8-inch-long rope, then shape it into a ring. Dampen the 2 ends with a little water, slightly overlap them, and gently pinch them together to seal.
- Arrange the bagels on a lightly greased cookie sheet, cover with greased plastic wraps and leave to rise in a warm place until they are slightly puffy, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (400ºF). Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Drop the bagels into the water, one at a time, and poach 20 seconds. Lift out with a large slotted spoon and return to the cookie sheet.
- Lightly beat the remaining egg and brush it over the bagels to glaze. Bake until well risen and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. The bagels can be kept in an airtight container up to 3 days.