Homemade Honey Grahams
“The way my boys eat them, I would spend a fortune on honey graham crackers at the grocery store. So I decided to make a homemade version that is less processed—and less expensive. These are wonderful, although they still don’t last long.” —Crystal Jo Bruns, Iliff, Colorado
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|32crackers||15minutes + chilling||10minutes/batch|
|32crackers||15minutes + chilling|
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp cold butter cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tbsp ice water
- Whisk together first 8 ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. In another bowl, whisk together honey and water; gradually add to dry ingredients, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; cover and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to an 8-in. square. Using a knife or fluted pastry wheel, cut each into sixteen 2-in. squares. If desired, prick holes with a fork. Place 1 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are light brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
1 cookie: 60 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fibre), 1g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.