Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
“My mom sent me this recipe. We love it, and so does company I serve it to. I inherited my love of cooking from my mother. She’s a former home economics teacher. When we were growing up, each of us five kids had a night a week when we planned and prepared supper for the rest of the family. Our home is ‘way out in the sticks’, 15 miles from town and 5 miles from the nearest neighbor. My husband and I have a son, 20, and a daughter, 17.” —Kea Fisher, Bridger, Montana
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|16servings||25minutes + freezing||10minutes + cooling|
|16servings||25minutes + freezing|
|10minutes + cooling|
- 1 package chocolate cake mix regular size
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 gallon ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, shortening, butter, egg, water and vanilla until well blended. Divide into four equal parts.
- Between waxed paper, roll one part into a 10x6-in. rectangle. Remove one piece of waxed paper and invert dough onto a ungreased baking sheet. Score the dough into eight pieces, each 3x2-1/2 in. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until puffed. Immediately cut along the scored lines and prick holes in each piece with a fork. Cool on wire racks.
- Cut ice cream into 16 slices, each 3x2-1/2x1 in. Place ice cream slice between two chocolate cookies; wrap in plastic. Freeze on a baking sheet overnight. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
Editor's Note: Purchase a rectangle-shaped package of ice cream in the flavor of your choice for the easiest cutting.
Nutrition Facts 1 each: 326 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 289mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fibre), 4g protein.