Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
“I made up this recipe for the students in the foods and nutrition class I teach. The kids like it so much, they often go home and fix it for their families.” —Beth Hiott, York, South Carolina
Photo: Taste of Home
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 4 tbsp prepared pesto
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- Marinara sauce warmed optional
- Spread 4 bread slices with pesto. Layer with cheeses; top with remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with oil.
- Using a large cast-iron skillet or electric griddle, toast sandwiches over medium heat until cheese is melted, 3-4 minutes on each side. If desired, serve with marinara.
1 sandwich (calculated without marinara): 445 calories, 27g fat (10g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 759mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fibre), 20g protein.