Italian Sausage & Egg Croissants
“Wake up your taste buds with eye-opening breakfast sandwiches featuring spicy sausage, fluffy egg, tomato and creamy avocado piled high on a flaky croissant.” —Emory Doty, Jasper, Georgia
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese 4 ounces
- 1 Jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 croissants split
- 8 slices tomato
- 1 medium ripe avocado peeled and sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese, jalapeno and herbs. Crumble sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook patties for 4-5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Set aside and keep warm.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. In another large nonstick skillet, melt half of the butter over medium-high heat. Add half of the egg mixture to the skillet (mixture should set immediately at edges).
- As eggs set, push cooked edges toward the centre, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. Cover and cook 1-2 minutes longer or until top is set. Slide eggs onto a plate; cut into four wedges. Repeat with remaining butter and egg mixture.
- Spread mayonnaise over croissants; layer with sausage patties, eggs, tomato and avocado. Replace tops.
Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
1 each: 741 calories, 58g fat (22g saturated fat), 322mg cholesterol, 1293mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fibre), 24g protein.