“My Italian husband grew up eating this flavourful sandwich, which his mother used to make it after Saturday chores were finished. Put the sub together a few hours ahead and refrigerate, then serve with chips, veggies and dip for a delicious meal.” —Christine Lupella, Fifty Lakes, Minnesota
Taste of Home
- 1 loaf unsliced Italian bread 1 pound
- 2 to 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 to 4 tbsp Shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium tomato thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/4 lb sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 lb thinly sliced hard salami
- Cut bread horizontally in half. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (save removed bread for another use or discard). Brush cut surfaces of bread with oil; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and oregano.
- Layer bottom half with remaining ingredients. Replace bread top. Cut into 8 slices.
1 slice: 340 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 1130mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fibre), 18g protein.