Jackson-Triggs Sparkling Maple Bacon Jam
Inspired by the Canadian flavours we all know and love, this Sparkling Maple and Bacon Jam melds nostalgic ingredients together in a new way.
- 1 lb sliced bacon cut into 1 cm strips
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes diced
- 2 onions diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup Jackson-Triggs Sparkling Wine
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp powdered fruit pectin
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp four spice optional
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat. When hot, add in the diced bacon and cook until very crispy. Remove the bacon and allow to cool on paper towel.
- Strain off all fat that remains in the pan and pour into a medium pot.
- Heat a medium sauce pot over medium heat; add in the reserved bacon fat then the onions and garlic. Cook until just soft (roughly 3-5 minutes).
- Next add in the tomato, wine, vinegar, maple syrup and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to low and simmer until the tomatoes just begin to break down (roughly 10-15 minutes).
- Stir through the fruit pectin, smoked paprika and crisped bacon.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil while continuing to stir. Allow to boil for 1-2 minutes.
- To finish, season with salt, pepper and four spice (if using).
- Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich and pair with Jackson-Triggs Reserve Pinot Noir
- Serve on a Canadian AAA grade beef burger with a full-bodied red like Shiraz or Meritage
- Try it with rich mac and cheese with Canadian bacon and pair with Pinot Noir