Lavender Honey Cheesecake
“I love the scent of lavender, and the edible flowers make this cheesecake one of the most spectacular I’ve tasted. You can use lavender honey in this recipe for extra flavour, but even without it, the lavender is very distinct.” —Julie Palmer, Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania
- 4 tablespoons, divided dried lavender flowers
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups crushed shortbread cookies about 21 cookies
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 packages cream cheese 8 ounces each, softened
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- lavender sugar optional
- fresh mint leaves optional
- In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons lavender and water. Cover and steep for 15 minutes. Strain water, discarding lavender. Set aside.
- Crush remaining lavender flowers. In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, butter and crushed lavender. Press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and honey until smooth. Gradually beat in lavender water. In another bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into filling. Spoon over crust.
- Refrigerate overnight. Run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. If desired, sprinkle with lavender sugar and mint leaves.
Look for dried lavender flowers in spice shops. If using lavender from the garden, make sure it hasn't been treated with chemicals.
1 slice: 322 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fibre), 4g protein.