Lemon Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
“I won a bake-off contest at Purdue University with this recipe for lemon bars with cream cheese frosting. I think you’ll love the dreamy topping.” —Michael Hunter, Fort Wayne, Indiana
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|12bars||20minutes||20minutes + cooling|
|20minutes + cooling|
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in lemon zest.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until centre is set and edges are golden brown. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and zest. Frost bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen tips
These rich bars are moist, almost like cake, with a pleasant lemon flavour. When the edges are lightly browned and pull away from the sides of the pan, it's ready to come out of the oven. The centre will look set.
1 bar: 243 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fibre), 2g protein.