“This easy lime bar recipe is a dessert that will wow your guests. I baked these bars for a luncheon on a hot summer day. A gentleman made his way to the kitchen to compliment the cook who made them.” —Holly Wilkins, Lake Elmore, Vermont
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4dozen||20minutes||20minutes + cooling|
|20minutes + cooling|
- Lemon-Lime Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tsp grated lime zest
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lime zest. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake just until edges are lightly browned, 13-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Combine flour and baking powder. Gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in lemon juice and zest; beat until frothy. Pour over hot crust.
- Bake until light golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen Tips
- When zesting lime, remember this tip: The outermost part of a citrus fruit has the most desirable flavour. Be careful not to grate too far down into the peel. The lighter-coloured inner part of the peel, the pith, tastes bitter.
- To soften butter super-quick, partially unwrap the butter (use the wrapped half as a handle to keep your hand clean) and shred it using the largest holes of your box grater. The butter will reduce to a fluffy heap and soften faster.
- Shredded butter is ready to use in your recipe right away.
1 bar: 88 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fibre), 1g protein.