Light & Lemony Scampi
“A touch more lemon helped me trim the calories in our favourite shrimp scampi recipe. For those who want to indulge, pass around the Parmesan.” —Ann Sheehy, Lawrence, Massachusetts
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp 26-30 per pound
- 8 oz uncooked multigrain angel hair pasta
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Peel and devein shrimp, removing tails. Cut each shrimp lengthwise in half. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, green onions and garlic; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, pepper, salt and red pepper flakes to same pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Return shrimp to pan; heat through. Remove from heat.
- Drain pasta; divide among 4 bowls. Top with shrimp mixture; sprinkle with parsley. If desired, serve with cheese.
1 serving (calculated without cheese): 378 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 405mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fibre), 29g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 very lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.