Lime Angel Food Cake
“For my husband’s family reunion, I took a store-bought angel food cake and turned it into this special dessert with a lovely lime cream frosting topped with toasted coconut. It went over big!” —Nancy Foust, Stoneboro, Pennsylvania
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|12servings||20minutes + chilling||15minutes + chilling|
|12servings||20minutes + chilling|
|15minutes + chilling|
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp sugar divided
- 6 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 prepared angel food cake 8 to 10 ounces
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut toasted
- In the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and yolks. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, lime juice and zest. Cook over simmering water while gradually whisking in butter. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Strain; refrigerate until completely cool.
- In a small bowl, beat cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form; gradually beat in remaining sugar. Gently fold into lime mixture.
- Split cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate. Spread with 2/3 cup lime mixture. Repeat. Place top layer on cake. Frost top and sides with remaining lime mixture. Sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before slicing.