Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
“Smoked turkey sausage and red pepper flakes add zip to this saucy, slow-cooked version of the New Orleans classic. For extra heat, add red pepper sauce at the table.” —Julia Bushree, Georgetown, Texas
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 cans kidney beans 16 ounces each, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14-1/2 ounces, undrained
- 14 oz smoked turkey sausage sliced
- 3 celery ribs chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 green onions chopped
- hot cooked rice
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 3-4 hours.
- Stir before serving. Remove bay leaf. Serve with green onions and rice.
- Freeze option: Discard bay leaf and freeze cooled bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve as directed.
1 cup (calculated without rice): 291 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 1070mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 13g fibre), 24g protein.