Lunch-Box Chicken Soup
“A friend gave me this recipe, and I tweaked a few things to make it healthier. It’s so delicious and quite easy to make! I use it for family gatherings, church functions, care packages…just about anything. For shortcuts, I sometimes replace the celery and carrots with 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables. The prepackaged rice saves time, too, so you can have the soup ready and waiting even when the kids are busy with activities.” —Jean Ann Fairchild, Shelby, Ohio
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings (2 quarts)||15minutes||30minutes|
|8servings (2 quarts)||15minutes|
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushroom
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 carton chicken broth (32 oz)
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package ready-to-serve roasted chicken-flavoured rice (8.8 oz)
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Portions: servings (2 quarts)
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables; cook and stir until carrots are crisp-tender.
- In a bowl, whisk flour and broth until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 5-6 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; heat through, stirring occasionally (do not allow to boil).
1 cup: 224 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 741mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fibre), 15g protein.