Machaca Beef Dip Sandwiches
“The winning combination of beef, cumin, chili powder and the spicy heat of chipotle peppers makes these sandwiches game-day food at its finest!” —Karol Chandler-Ezell, Nacogdoches, Texas
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast 2 to 3 pounds
- 1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 can reduced-sodium beef broth 14-1/2 ounces
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 envelope au jus gravy mix
- 1 tbsp Creole seasoning
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 6 French rolls split
- Guacamole and salsa optional
- Place roast in a 3- to 4-qt. slow cooker; top with onion. Combine the broth, water, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, gravy mix, Creole seasoning, chili powder and cumin; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred beef with 2 forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place meat on rolls. Serve with guacamole or salsa if desired and the cooking juices.
- Freeze option: Freeze individual portions of cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Serve on rolls, with guacamole and salsa if desired.
- Editor's Notes: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face. The following spices may be substituted for 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning: 3/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
1 sandwich: 476 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1288mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fibre), 37g protein.