Marshmallow-Almond Key Lime Pie
“Summer is peak season for Key limes—a must for this pie’s distinctive sweet-tart flavour. Unlike other Key lime pies, mine has a smooth marshmallow layer on top that makes it stand out as a crowd favourite.” —Judy Castranova, New Bern, North Carolina
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings||40minutes||15minutes + chilling|
|15minutes + chilling|
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup slivered almonds toasted, divided
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1package cream cheese softened, divided, 8 ounces
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 ounces
- 1 tbsp grated Key lime peel
- 1/2 cup Key lime juice
- Dash salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-3/4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 4-1/2 tsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place flour, brown sugar and 1/2 cup almonds in a food processor; process until almonds are finely chopped. Add melted butter and honey; process until crumbly. Press onto bottom and up sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat 5 ounces cream cheese, milk, lime peel, lime juice and salt until blended. Add egg yolk; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour into crust. Bake until centre is almost set, 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, place marshmallows and butter in a small heavy saucepan; cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Transfer to a large bowl; beat in remaining cream cheese until blended. Beat in cream. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
- Beat chilled marshmallow mixture until light and fluffy. Spread over pie; sprinkle with remaining almonds. Refrigerate until serving.
To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
1 piece: 587 calories, 35g fat (18g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fibre), 12g protein.