Meaty Sloppy Joe Pockets
“It’s easy to turn sloppy joes into hearty hot pocket snacks. I make the filling ahead and use refrigerated biscuits. I time them so they’re done baking just before kickoff.” —Shelly Flye, Albion, Maine
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings||45minutes + cooling||20minutes|
|8servings||45minutes + cooling|
- 1 lb lean ground beef 90% lean
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounces
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tube large refrigerated buttermilk biscuits 16.3 ounces
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, celery and carrot over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll each biscuit into a 6-in. circle. Spoon scant 1/3 cup beef mixture over half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edge. If desired, sprinkle with cheese. Fold dough over filling; press edge with a fork to seal.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut three slits in top of each. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
1 pocket (calculated without cheese): 294 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 909 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate (9 g sugars, 1 g fibre), 15 g protein.