Mediterranean Broccoli & Cheese Omelet
“My Italian mother-in-law taught me to make this omelet years ago—she would make it for breakfast, lunch or dinner and eat it on Italian bread. This is one of my favorite ways to use up leftover broccoli.” —Mary Licata, Pembroke Pines, Florida
Photo: Taste of Home
- 2-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup Grated Romano cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced pitted Greek olives
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Shaved Romano cheese and minced fresh parsley
- Preheat broiler. In a large saucepan, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place broccoli in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; steam, covered, 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in cooked broccoli, grated cheese and olives. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat; pour in egg mixture. Cook, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until eggs are nearly set.
- Broil 3-4 in. from heat 2-4 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. Sprinkle with shaved cheese and parsley.
1 wedge (calculated without shaved Romano cheese): 229 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 290mg cholesterol, 775mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fibre), 15g protein.