Mediterranean Chicken Orzo Soup
“My husband is Greek, so I’m always trying new Mediterranean recipes. This soup is his favourite dish that I make. Serve it with a little feta or Parmesan and a side of toast.” —Kristine Kosturos, Olympia, Washington.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|6servings (2-1/2 quarts)||20minutes||25minutes|
|6servings (2-1/2 quarts)||20minutes|
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast halves cubed
- 2 celery rib chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 carton reduced-sodium chicken broth (32 oz)
- 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- minced fresh parsley optional
Portions: servings (2-1/2 quarts)
1-2/3 cups: 223 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 630mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fibre), 17g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.