Mini-Meatballs with Wild Blueberry and Cucumber Salad
These mini-meatballs serve four and are sure to be a hit at home.
Photo: Wild Blueberry Association of North America
- Cucumber Dressing
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp hot mustard
- 1 pinch sugar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups wild blueberries thawed, reserve juice
- 1 bunch cilantro finely chopped, reserve leaves for garnish
- to taste salt
- to taste ground black pepper
- Cucumber Salad
- 1 cucumber peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- to taste salt
- 1/2 cup dry bread
- 1 lb ground beef minced
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp clarified butter
- Place shallot, vinegar, mustard, sugar, strained blueberries, cilantro, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Place cucumbers in a bowl. Add salt and toss. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse cucumbers and pat dry.
- Add cucumber slices to bowl with dressing. Toss to combine and marinate for 15 minutes or set aside until serving.
- Soak bread in a large bowl with reserved blueberry juice for approximately 10 minutes. Add water if necessary.
- Add ground beef, egg, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper. Knead to combine.
- Wet hands and form small meatballs. Place on a tray or plate.
- Heat clarified butter in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add meatballs, saute until cooked and caramelized, approximately 10 minutes.
- Place cucumber salad on a platter or individual plates. Add mini-meatballs. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Approximate nutritional analysis per portion: