Moroccan Turkey Phyllo Pie
Photo: Think Turkey
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 tbsp + 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 small Thai chile or chile flakes to taste
- 1 tsp Ras El Hanout - Moroccan spice blend
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Meat from 1 roasted turkey leg chopped into 2” pieces
- 2 pitted prunes or any other dried fruit chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives diced
- 1/2 cup turkey stock
- juice of half lemon
- 1/2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp whole toasted almonds
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté the onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chile, Moroccan spice blend, lemon zest and turkey meat and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the prunes, olives, stock, lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove lid and simmer for 5 more minutes, or until liquid has almost evaporated. Let cool completely. Meanwhile, pulse icing sugar, cinnamon and almonds in food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Brush a 10-inch pie dish with some olive oil.
- On a work surface, arrange a sheet of phyllo (keep remaining phyllo under damp tea towel). Brush phyllo with olive oil and lay in the middle of pie dish allowing excess phyllo to hang over edge. Repeat with 4 more sheets of phyllo.
- Stir beaten egg and coriander into turkey mixture and spoon into prepared pie dish. Fold the phyllo pieces that are hanging over the edge of the pie dish, one at a time into middle of pie, sprinkling some of the almond mixture between each layer.
- Brush 1 sheet of phyllo with olive oil and place on top of pie, tucking in any overhang. Repeat with remaining phyllo and almond mixture. (Do these one by one, not stacked together, to achieve a light, blossomy top.)
- Bake for 20 minutes until top is browned and crisp. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges
Nutritional Information Per serving
Calories: 395, Protein: 24 g, Fat: 25 g, Carbohydrates: 20 g, Sodium: 556 mg