Focaccia is an Italian flat bread like pizza but without the sauce and the dough is thicker. For quick preparation on the barbecue, use a premade flatbread or foccacia. Place directly on preheated grill for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
Number of servings :
Prep time: 15 minutes, Rising time 45 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Type of meal : | Breads and muffins | Breads and muffins
Special diet :
1 lb pizza dough or frozen bread dough, thawed 500 g
3 tbsp olive oil, divided (45 mL)
¾ lb fresh Mushrooms, thinly sliced (375 mL) (white, crimini, portabella, shiitake, oyster)
1 cup thinly sliced red or sweet onion (250 mL)
1½ tsp dried oregano or Italian mixed herbs (7 mL)
1 clove garlic, minced
8 black olives, pitted and sliced (optional)
coarsely ground black pepper to taste
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (15 mL)
- Lightly grease a baking sheet and place dough on it; with floured hands press out dough to 11×7” (27x17cm) oval. Brush with 2 tsp (10 mL) of the oil and let rise in warm place* for 45-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in large skillet; sauté mushrooms and onions for 4 minutes or until moisture has evaporated; add oregano and garlic, cook 1 more minute; let cool slightly.
- With thumb or end of wooden spoon make dimpled surface on foccacia; top with mushroom mixture, pressing lightly into dough.
- Top with olives if using, black pepper and Parmesan. Bake 400°F (200°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned and crisp.
- Cool slightly on wire rack. Cut in wedges or slices to serve.
Makes 12 pieces
*To create a warm place for dough to rise, turn oven on to 200ºF (100ºC) for 1 minute; then turn off and place dough in warm oven.
• Prepare your own dough using half whole wheat flour to make it more nutritious.
• Kalamata or Nicoise olives cured in oil or brine are more flavourful than canned.
Variations: Crumble goat cheese on top of baked foccacia and return to warm oven just to melt. Pass herb or spiced flavoured oil to drizzle on as desired.