Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
250 ml (1 cup) white wine
6 black peppercorns
1 kg (2 lb) mussels, cleaned
6 green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
45 ml (3 tbsp) butter
45 ml (3 tbsp) flour
750 ml (3 cups) milk, heated
500 g (1 lb) yellow-flesh potatoes, peeled and diced
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, bring the garlic, wine and peppercorns to a boil.
- Add the mussels, cover and cook, shaking the pan from time to time, until all the mussels are open (about 5 minutes). Remove the mussels from the pan and set aside. Strain the cooking liquid through a cloth or coffee filter and reserve.
- In the same saucepan, wilt the white part of the onions in the butter. Add the flour and cook 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add the hot milk and the mussel cooking liquid. Cook while stirring until thickened. Add the potatoes, cover and cook until they are just tender.
- Remove the mussels from their shells, reserving a dozen in the shell for garnish.
- Add the shelled mussels to the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- At serving time, garnish each bowl with a few mussels in the shell and sprinkle with the sliced onion greens.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2490