Osso Buco Milanese
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
6 x 250 g (6 x 1/2 lb) grain-fed veal shank pieces, with bone,
60 ml (1/4 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
60 ml (1/4 cup) butter
3 carrots, diced
4 celery stalks, diced
3 medium onions, diced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
180 ml (3/4 cup) flour
250 ml (1 cup) dry white wine
250 ml (1 cup) beef stock
2 x 796 ml (2 x 28 oz) Italian plum tomatoes drained and cut in pieces
1/2 bunch flat parsley, chopped
5 ml (1 tsp) oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lemon, zest only, grated finely
1/2 orange, zest only, grated finely
2 bunches parsley, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Wrap pieces of veal shank with string to keep meat on the bone. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over low heat. Add the vegetables. Cook and stir for 5 minutes, or until browned. Transfer vegetables to a bowl.
- Roll the pieces of veal shank in flour, shaking them to remove any excess.
- In the same pot, brown the pieces of meat on both sides over medium heat.
- Remove and set aside with the vegetables. Deglaze the pot with the wine and stock, scraping well to detach any remaining meat. Reduce by half.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 325°F.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper to the liquid in the pot. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes
- Place meat and vegetables in the pot. Cover and bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover and bake another 30 minutes.
- Remove to a serving platter and sprinkle with gremolata.
For the gremolata:
Combine grated lemon and orange zests with the finely chopped parsley and garlic.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2246