Paprika-Spiced Fish Cakes
You can make these delicious bites ahead of time and cook them straight from frozen on a moment’s notice.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1-1/4 cup baking potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb cod fillets skinned, cut into large chunks
- 3 tbsp oat bran
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup scallions thinly sliced
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- optional lemon wedges
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or handheld mixer. Cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor, combine the fish, oat bran, egg, lemon juice, paprika, salt, and pepper. Pulse until the fish is finely ground.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the potatoes. Add the scallion greens and mix well to combine. Using a ½-cup measuring cup, scoop the mixture and shape into 8 fish cakes. Transfer to a platter and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add half the fish cakes and cook for 3 minutes, or until browned. Flip the fish cakes over and cook for 3 minutes, or until browned. Repeat with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and the 4 remaining fish cakes.
- Serve 2 fish cakes per person, with lemon wedges, if desired.
Note: If you have gluten issues, choose gluten-free brands of oat bran and paprika.