Pepperoni Pizza Loaf
“This savoury stromboli starts with frozen bread dough, so it comes together in practically no time. The golden loaf is stuffed with cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers and olives. I often add a few slices of ham, too. It’s tasty served with warm pizza sauce for dipping.” —Jenny Brown, West Lafayette, Indiana
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough thawed, 1 pound
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 oz sliced pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can mushroom stems and pieces drained, 4 ounces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup pickled pepper rings
- 1 medium green pepper diced
- 1 can Sliced ripe olives 2-1/4 ounces
- 1 can pizza sauce 15 ounces
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a greased baking sheet, roll out dough into a 15x10-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, Parmesan cheese, oil, parsley, oregano, garlic powder and pepper. Brush over the dough.
- Sprinkle with the pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, pepper rings, green pepper and olives. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under.
- Position loaf with seam side down; brush with egg whites. Do not let rise. Bake until golden brown and dough is cooked through, 35-40 minutes. Warm the pizza sauce; serve with sliced loaf.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled unsliced pizza loaf in heavy-duty foil. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before reheating. Remove from foil and reheat loaf on a greased baking sheet in a preheated 325° oven until heated through. Serve as directed.
1 slice: 296 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 827mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fibre), 13g protein.