Pineapple Upside-Down Dump Cake
“This dump cake recipe is wonderful topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. It works well with gluten-free and sugar-free cake mixes too.” —Karin Gatewood, Dallas, Texas
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 3/4 cup butter divided
- 2/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 jar maraschino cherries drained (6 oz.)
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped, toasted
- 1 can unsweetened pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple, both undrained (20 oz.)
- 1 package yellow cake mix regular size
- vanilla ice cream optional
- In a microwave, melt 1/2 cup butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread evenly onto bottom of a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with cherries and pecans; top with pineapple. Sprinkle evenly with dry cake mix. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over top.
- Cook, covered, on high until fruit mixture is bubbly, about 2 hours. (To avoid scorching, rotate slow cooker insert one-half turn midway through cooking, lifting carefully with oven mitts.)
- Turn off slow cooker; let stand, uncovered, 30 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with ice cream.
Test Kitchen tips
- Let the cake stand, uncovered, after cooking to allow the steam to escape. As it cools, the cake and saucy pineapple mixture set up a bit.
- Sprinkle the cake mix in an even layer over the pineapple. If it’s piled high in the centre, the middle of the cake may be undercooked.
- A large slow cooker is used to keep the ingredient layers thin and promote even cooking.
- Check out more cake baking tips we learned from grandma.
To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
1/2 cup: 455 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 1g fibre), 3g protein.