Pizza Potato Toppers
“Not only is this recipe quick and easy to make, but it’s an economical treat as well. I don’t know of a more satisfying way to stretch a half pound of meat!” —Sheila Friedrich, Antelope, Montana
Photo: Taste of Home
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- fresh oregano, basil or parsley optional
- Prick potatoes with a fork; cook in a microwave until tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and green pepper with onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato and pizza sauce; heat through.
- Split potatoes lengthwise; flake potato centres with a fork. Spoon meat mixture into each; top with mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with herbs if desired.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Italian sausage also tastes great in this recipe.
- If you have leftover potatoes from last night's dinner, this is a good way to repurpose them. Baked sweet potatoes will work, too!
1 each: 486 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 7g fibre), 26g protein.