Potato Pan Rolls
“My family loves these rolls and requests them often. They don’t take long to make because you use quick-rise yeast.” —Connie Storckman, Evanston, Wyoming
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|16rolls||15minutes + rising||20minutes|
|16rolls||15minutes + rising|
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 pkg quick-rise yeast 1/4 ounce each
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes without added milk and butter
- additional all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in mashed potatoes and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place in two greased 8- or 9-in. cast-iron skillets or round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Sprinkle tops of rolls with additional flour. Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks.
1 roll: 163 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fibre), 4g protein.