Pumpkin Cookies with Browned Butter Frosting
“The recipe for these pleasantly spiced pumpkin cookies won a champion ribbon at our local county fair. These are a family favourite, and everyone enjoys the soft cake-like texture.” —Robin Nagel, Whitehall, Montana
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|9dozen||25minutes||10minutes/batch + cooling|
|10minutes/batch + cooling|
- 1-1/2 cups butter softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger finely chopped
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup butter cubed
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 tbsp 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in pumpkin, eggs and crystallized ginger. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Transfer to a large bowl. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired spreading consistency. Spread over cookies.
- Freeze option: Freeze unfrosted cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers and frost as directed.
1 cookie: 93 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fibre), 1g protein.