Cajun Chicken Burgers
Cajun, a flavour familiar to any summer chef, finds its way into many barbecues – are you missing out? These chicken burgers will keep you salivating long after you’ve had your fill.
Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cooking time: 5 Minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
2 chicken breast fillets
Cajun seasoning, to taste
Olive oil spray
4 hamburger buns
1 avocado, sliced
2 small tomatoes, sliced
1½ cups (120 g) finely shredded white cabbage
1 small carrot, coarsely grated
¼ red onion, finely chopped
1½ tablespoons whole-egg mayonnaise
3 teaspoons lemon juice
- To make the coleslaw, toss the cabbage, carrot and onion with the combined mayonnaise and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Preheat a barbecue hotplate or grill rack to medium–high heat. Cut the chicken breast fillets in half horizontally. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to gently beat out so they are of an even thickness. Sprinkle all over with Cajun seasoning.
- Spray the chicken pieces with oil and cook on the hotplate or grill rack over direct heat for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Cut the rolls in half horizontally, and cook the cut sides on the grill rack for about 30 seconds, or until lightly toasted.
- Place coleslaw onto the bun bases, and top with the chicken. Arrange the avocado and tomatoes on top, and serve immediately.