Recipe: Chicken Skewers with Peanut Sauce
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus 30 minutes soaking Cook Time: 5 minutes Serves 4 Ingredients 2 tablespoons mirin 2 teaspoons
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus 30 minutes soaking
Cook Time: 5 minutes
2 tablespoons mirin
2 teaspoons sesame oil
½ teaspoon dried crushed chilli
2 teaspoons sugar
2 telegraph (long) cucumbers, diced
1 red capsicum (bell pepper), seeded and diced
500 g (1 lb) skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets, cut into cubes
½ teaspoon ground coriander
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ cup (80 g) peanuts, roasted
? cup (10 g) fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
½ cup (125 ml) salt-reduced chicken stock
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
lemon wedges, to serve
- In a bowl, whisk together the mirin, sesame oil, chilli and 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Add the cucumbers and capsicum and toss to combine. Refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat a chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate to medium. Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning during cooking. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper, add the ground coriander and toss well to coat. Set aside until needed.
- Put the remaining sugar, garlic, peanuts, coriander, stock and lime juice in a food processor and process until well combined and smooth. Set aside.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers. Grill the chicken skewers for about 5 minutes, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the skewers with the cucumber salad and lemon wedges on the side, with the peanut sauce passed separately in a smaller dish.