Citrus-Grilled Chicken With Melon Salsa
Shutterstock/ Lena Ivanova
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 500 g chicken breast fillets
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 jalapeño chilli
- 1 lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp salt-reduced soy sauce
- 100 g mixed salad leaves
- Melon Salsa
- 1 cucumber
- 1 rockmelon cut into 2 cm dice
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tbsp fresh basil very thinly sliced
- Rockmelon is an excellent source of beta carotene, a powerful antioxidant with anticarcinogenic properties that the body converts into vitamin A. Vitamin C in the fruit and lime juice aids in the absorption of iron, which is present in the mix of leafy salad greens.
- Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with pepper. Devein and seed the jalapeño chilli with a melon baller (wear gloves when handling, as it can burn); chop finely. Stir 2 tablespoons lime juice, garlic, soy sauce and 1 teaspoon jalapeño in a pie dish. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Marinate at room temperature, turning once, while preparing the melon salsa.
- To make the salsa, halve the cucumber lengthways. Remove the seeds by dragging the tip of a spoon down the centre. Place the cucumber cut side down on a board, and slice 2 mm thick. Toss the cucumber, rockmelon, tomatoes, basil and remaining jalapeño and lime juice in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat a barbecue or grill to medium. Discard the marinade from the chicken mixture. Lightly coat both sides of the chicken with nonstick cooking spray (preferably olive oil–flavoured). Barbecue or grill the chicken until the juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side, turning only once.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cut the meat diagonally into strips, about 1 cm thick. Toss with the melon salsa. Divide the salad leaves among 4 plates and spoon a quarter of the chicken and melon mixture on top of each. Serve.
Nutrition per serving: 1091 kilojoules, 34 g protein, 9 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 101 mg cholesterol, 10 g total carbohydrate, 10 g sugars, 3 g fibre, 227 mg sodium