Red Velvet Peppermint Thumbprints
Think red velvet cookies and cakes are pretty but wish they had a bigger flavour? These cute thumbprints are infused with a refreshing peppermint pop.
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 tsp red food colouring
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups white baking chips
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup peppermint candies crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, food colouring and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt baking chips with oil; stir until smooth. Spoon a scant teaspoon filling into each cookie. Drizzle tops with remaining mixture. Sprinkle with peppermint candies. Let stand until set.
1 cookie: 118 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published on Taste of Home.