Rhubarb Custard Cake
“Rhubarb thrives in my northern garden and is one of the few crops the pesky moose don’t bother! Of all the desserts I’ve tried, this rhubarb custard cake is my first choice. It has old-fashioned appeal but is so simple to prepare.” —Evelyn Gebhardt, Kasilof, Alaska
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|15servings||10minutes||40minutes + cooling|
|40minutes + cooling|
- 1 package yellow cake mix regular size
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream and fresh mint optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with rhubarb and sugar. Slowly pour cream over top.
- Bake until golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with whipped cream and mint if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
1 piece: 300 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fibre), 3g protein.