Roast Pork Soup
“This well-seasoned, satisfying soup has a rich, full-bodied broth brimming with potatoes, navy beans and tender chunks of pork. It’s been a family favourite for years. Served with cornbread, it’s one of our comfort foods in winter.” —Sue Gulledge, Springville, Alabama
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 3 cups cubed cooked pork roast
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 can navy beans (15 oz.), rinsed and drained
- 1 can Italian diced tomatoes (14-1/2 ounces), undrained
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- fresh basil minced
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the first 9 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with basil.
1 cup: 206 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 435mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fibre), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable.