Roasted Carrot and Caraway Soup
Roasting the carrots enhances their natural sweetness in this aromatic soup. The caraway seeds complement the carrots beautifully.
Photo: Reader's Digest Brain Power Cookbook
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 kg carrots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1-1/2 tbsp caraway seeds plus extra to serve
- 4 cups vegetable stock salt-reduced
- 4 slices wholegrain bread to serve
- to taste ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Line a large baking tray with baking (parchment) paper. Peel the carrots and cut into quarters lengthwise. Place on the tray and roast for 45 minutes, until tender and lightly browned.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Cook the onion over medium heat for 4 minutes, until soft. Stir in the garlic and caraway seeds, and cook for 1 minute. Add the roasted carrots, stock and 1 cup (250ml) water.
- Use a stick blender to puree the soup. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Spoon the soup into bowls and garnish with the extra caraway seeds. Serve with wholegrain bread.
Each serving provides 639 kJ, 153 kcal, 4 g protein, 6 g fat, 21 g carbohydrate, 9 g fibre and 1141 mg sodium.