Roasted Squash and Garlic Soup with Beet Splash
Roasted garlic and squash adds a fabulous flavour to this soup. And with the beet splash, the dish looks and tastes stunning! This dish can be made a day ahead as well if necessary.
photo credit: shutterstock
- Roasted Squash and Garlic Soup
- 4 heads garlic
- 2 large butternut squash 2 lb each
- 2 onion peeled
- 8 cups vegetable stock homemade
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Beet Splash
- 1 large red beets roasted
- 1 cup low-fat natural yoghurt
- milk if needed
- Cut top quarter off garlic heads and wrap garlic in foil. Cut squash in half, lengthwise, and discard pulp and seeds. Place squash, cut-side down, on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut onion into quarters and place beside squash on baking sheet.
- Roast garlic and vegetables in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until very tender.
- Feed garlic into food processor. Scrape out squash flesh and add it, along with onions, to processor. Purée, adding a bit of stock if necessary.
- Transfer vegetable purée to a saucepan and add stock. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- For beet splash, peel beet(s), cut into chunks and purée in processor. Add yogourt and purée until smooth. Add milk, yogourt or water if mixture is too thick.
- Serve soup in wide bowls, with some beet purée “splashed” on the top.