Roasted Trout on Rainbow Vegetables
Trout stuffed with lemon and herbs is served with a rainbow of roasted vegetables. If whole trout aren’t available, you can use boned and butterflied trout. Thyme, lemon thyme or dill can be used in place of the oregano.
Photo: Reader's Digest Brain Power Cookbook
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 lemons
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 green bell peppers cut into thin strips
- 2 vine tomatoes cut into wedges
- 7 oz fingerling potatoes scrubbed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 red onion cut into thin wedges
- 1 fennel bulb cut into thin strips, fronds reserved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 rainbow trout 400g each, cleaned and scaled
- 8 sprigs fresh oregano plus extra leaves for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F).
- Slice one lemon and set aside. Cut the other lemon into thin wedges. Put the lemon wedges, bell peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, onion, fennel, and some of the reserved fronds on a large baking tray. Drizzle with half the olive oil and gently toss to coat. Bake the vegetables for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the trout and pat dry with paper towel. Lay a few of the lemon slices and 2 sprigs of oregano inside the cavity of each fish. Brush the fish with the remaining oil.
- Gently turn the vegetables, then arrange the fish on top and bake for 20 minutes, until the fish flakes away from the bone when tested with the tip of a knife.
- Divide the vegetables among four plates, top with the fish and serve garnished with oregano leaves.
Each serving provides 1520 kJ, 363 kcal, 46g protein, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars), 6g fibre and 181mg sodium.