Saucy Mediterranean Chicken with Rice
“The hints of Mediterranean flavour in this chicken dish make it a family favourite.” —Tabitha Alloway, Edna, Kansas
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander optional
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- minced fresh parsley optional
Test Kitchen tips
- Freeze leftover tomato paste on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet in 1-tablespoon mounds. Once frozen, transfer to a zip-top freezer bag.
- Long grain rice triples when cooked and instant rice doubles. So you'll need 1 cup uncooked long grain or 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant to yield about 3 cups hot cooked rice.
3/4 cup chicken mixture with 3/4 cup rice: 394 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fibre), 27g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 2 fat.