Sausage Puffs with Fennel
Offer these tasty sausage puffs to your guests at your next dinner party. Made with sweet Italian sausage and fennel seeds, these tiny treats are big on flavour.
Number of servings : 2 dozen puffs
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Type of meal : | Hors d’oeuvres | Hors d’oeuvres
Special diet :
4 sweet Italian sausages, membrane removed
20 ml (4 tsp) fennel seeds, crushed
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 egg yolk, beaten
400 g (14 oz) commercial puff pastry
10 ml (2 tsp) cold water
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F.
- In a bowl, combine the sausage meat, half the fennel seeds and the pepper. Set aside.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough into four 22 cm x 12 cm (9” x 5”) rectangles.
- Spread an equal amount of filling down the middle of each rectangle. Moisten the edges of the pastry and roll up. Press gently to seal.
- Cut each roll into six 4 cm (1½”) pieces. Place seam side down on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and water and brush the top of each piece with the mixture. Sprinkle the remaining fennel seeds over the puffs.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.